Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My New Love...

Homemade Ice Cream!


I've always had a strong affection for ice cream, but have recently avoided buying it at the store so that I won't gain 500 pounds.  Because I will eat it.  I will.  Every. last. bit. 

A few weeks ago, I was looking for something in the garage, and stumbled across our ice cream maker.  We got it when we were married....almost 15 years ago!  In our first year of marriage, we made ice cream in it maybe 2 times {from those packets you can buy} and then relegated it to storage.

So when I saw it in the garage, I thought it may be fun...um...for the kids...to make and eat some ice cream.

I tried a few recipes with little success and then found this one!


Old-Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream
{from The Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt Cookbook by Mable and Gar Hoffman}
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
2 egg yolks
1 cup whipping cream
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in milk. Stir over medium heat. Simmer 1 minute over low heat; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Stir about 1 cup milk mixture into egg yolks, then pour egg yolk mixture back into the remaining milk. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add whipping cream and vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Pour into ice cream canister. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
P.S. the recipe in the book also included 1 {5 ounce} can of evaporated milk, but I didn't have any, so I just left it out. If you add it, it goes in with the whipping cream and vanilla.
I keep meaning to add fruit or cookies or cookie dough, or chocolate, but I the kids just keep eating it too fast.

Let me know if you try this recipe and how it turns out...or if you have any favorite homemade ice cream recipes...because my kids just can't get enough.

3 comments:

katie@tulsadetails said...

That looks delicious! Homemade ice cream is the best!

Amy C said...

This looks yummy! We have an ice cream maker we got for our wedding almost 10 years ago, and it's still in the box. I really want to use it. I thought you had to use rock salt to make ice cream tho...

Andrea said...

This is my husbands favorite icecream recipe. we love homemade icecream too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...